
1895
DENVILLE, NEW JERSEY
St. Francis Health Resort
Msgr. Joch introduced to Mother Frances and to Msgr. Jaquemin the intention of starting a mission in Denville, New Jersey. On March 22, 1895, with little money and much enthusiasm, Father Joch and seven sisters arrived in Denville, in the heart of Morris County. The building intended for housing and, more generally, the entire environment was in ruins. In a short time, with the help of carpenters, plumbers and other workers, the site, a former farm, was transformed into a decent and clean center. Indeed, there seemed to be a healthy sense of well-being and much peace. Supplies for Kneipp cures were purchased, and a lot of publicity was given to promote this healing resource. Fr. Joch, who had learned the procedures and methods of treatment from Fr. Kneipp himself, immediately began treatment with patients. In 1910, an expansion was made and in the following years the chapel, Denville’s first Catholic chapel, the convent and three more floors were built on the former building. A modern nursing home was finally opened on June 24,1928.

