
1893 - 1914
LUSSINGRANDE, ISTRIA
Children's Sanatorium
On May 5, 1893, Mother Frances opened a home for sick children in Veli Lošinj, Istria, on the Adriatic Sea. She recalled this in 1894, writing a letter to the Imperial and Royal Austro-Hungarian High Embassy to the Holy See: "by an invitation of Baroness Von Hasslinger, the Sisters took over the management of a kindergarten on the island of Veli Lošinj, where only children with a handicap or scrofulosis were admitted." Sr Kiliana Jacobowski wrote: While the mission in Vienna was still in its infancy, Baroness von Hasslinger, a resident of Vienna, told Mother Frances that she intended to establish at Lussingrande on the island of Lussin, wich is south of Istria and in the Adriatic Sea. A home for children of Vienna who were suffering from Scrofulosis and rickets, and that she would be glad if the Community of the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother would take charge of this work of charity. Mother Frances, having a special love for the poor, the sick and especially for suffering orphan children, accepted the offer. The sisters took charge of the shelter on May 5, 1893”. Sr. M. Stilla Niegel, the first superior of the mission, described their arrival in the following words: "We were welcomed with great joy. The Baroness came in a boat to meet us, but the little ones¸ whom we had to carry, would not allow themselves to be touched by the noble lady…The languages spoken here are Slavonic and Italian. Since there is little rain, we must buy water at two kreutzers a pitcher from the only well in the place. We would like to have you here, Reverend Mother, for at least a few hours. We have quite a large house, nicely furnished; but a chapel, which we hope to have, is still lacking.” The poor orphans, often suffered from eruptions and contagious diseases, received not only physical but also moral, intellectual and spiritual care from the sisters who instructed them in religion and the essentials of reading and writing. Since the Baroness' generous annual contributions of 800 to 1,000 florins were insufficient to sufficient for support of the sisters and children, she transferred all her rights and duties concerning the home to the Orphans’ Auxiliary Society in Vienna. With the aid of contributions from this society, the institution began to grow. In December 1894, Sr. M. Ermesinda Schuebel, the new superior, wrote to Mother Frances in Rome that a chapel was being prepared and that Sr. M. Emmanuela Deinlein had distinguished herself by her untiring efforts for the sick children. Although Sr. M. Ermesinda herself was ill and, like the children, covered with sores, she instructed them with devoted love. She died a saintly death on January 26, 1897. Four years later, when the crypt was opened her body was found perfectly fresh and intact. The responsibility for the support of the asylum was later assumed by a commission of the Austrian government, which granted the sisters aid and appropriate remuneration. The good work of the sisters in the asylum was fully recognized, and it is much to be regretted that the events of World War I the necessitated their giving up the mission. The sisters did not leave the island with the children until they were in very grave danger. By a special drowning by arriving too late at the port to embark on the ship they were to have taken. This ship, after putting out to sea, was blown up by a mine, and all on the board perished. Several days later the sisters and their charges returned to Vienna on another ship.

