top of page

1890

MARSHFIELD, WISCONSIN

St. Joseph's Hospital

APPROFONDIMENTI02.jpg

On December 7, 1890, Mother Frances opened St. Joseph's Hospital in Marshfield, Wisconsin, with five sisters. On February 2, 1891, the sisters moved from their wooden house to the new building, which had been built with great sacrifice. In the meantime, six more sisters had sailed from Antwerp to New York to join the sisters in Marshfield. In 1891, a school was also opened in Bakerville, near Marshfield, but it was soon closed due to the sisters' lack of knowledge of English, which prevented them from competently carrying out their teaching activities.
In the autumn of 1892, Fr. Joch was appointed by Bishop Schwebach as chaplain and collaborator of the Sisters in St Joseph's Hospital. The introduction of Kneipp cures in the hospital was largely due to his skills. One of Mother Frances' first concerns was to adapt properly the largest room in the house as a temporary chapel for the Congregation's novitiate. On May 12, 1902, the chapel in Gothic style and dedicated to the Sorrowful Mother was completed. In 1907, the construction of the St. Mary Convent began, which was completed in 1908. From 1913 to 1918, the hospital was expanded and in 1914, a nursing school was also established. Finally, in 1936, the St. Joseph Hospital building was replaced by a new, more modern four-story building.

© 2020 Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother Third Order Regular of St. Francis of Assisi

GENERAL ARCHIVES - ROME

bottom of page